Sunday, June 19, 2011

My 200th Post! ~Picture Tutorial on How to Make your own Skittles~

Morning Bloggers!
Wishing all the wonderful father's out there a VERY Happy Father's Day!

This is my 200th post! Whoo Hoo :)

I have an easy make it yourself picture tutorial on how to make your own Skittles.
I have had a few messages and inquires about how to do this so I thought I would share how I make mine.

Start out with some ziplock bags, alcohol ink in any color you want and some of these floral gems. I bought mine at Michael's in their floral department. You get a HUGE bag for I think $9.99 and I used a coupon :) There are tons in the bag to make probably more skittles than you could use LOL!

Take a baggie full of as many of the gems as you want to color and add the alcohol ink into the bag. Use as much or as little color as you want. You can always add more color.

I just squeezed about 5 drops in...maybe alittle more

Once you have the color in the bag, mix it up until the gems are coated. I made 6 different colors using all the alcohol inks I have. A pretty rainbow of color!

Next dump the gems out to dry...I put mine on some scrap paper. Spread them out so they have the room to dry completely. Let them set for at least 6-12 hours to ensure they are completely dry. You can speed up the process by using your heat tool but be careful that you don't shoot the gems all over the place :)

Here are all the completed colored gems. They are still in the drying phase.

They are so much fun to use on all sorts of different projects.
Have fun with these!

Hope you like this and will give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for stopping by and have a GREAT day :)

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Where do you get the plain skittles from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a gem (could not resist). Thanks for the tip on how you made these. LOL about your comment about being careful to not blow them all over. I tried to make by squeezing out the ink onto wax paper but got random sizes and had no idea to use clear gems.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://createdbysunshinehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thanks for sharing:)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cool idea... and I bet it is much less expensive then buying them already colored... so going to have to check this out. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'll be making some now. I have an award for you on my blog.Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tut! I always wondered how to do it on my own! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done this too. They really do turn out nice! ~ Blessings

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look lovely Jessica! I have just one question... what are floral gems? I feel so dumb but I have never actually seen a skittle in person besides the kind I eat and I have no idea what they are! they look like clear beads but then I am not sure. If I ever figure it out, I will probably try this because they sure are pretty :) thanks for the tutorial.

    rebeccadunham at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! I have been waiting for someone to post a tutorial on them. Congrats on your 200th post! All of them worthy. I love being on your blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reply Jessica :) Next time i go to Michaels (which is way too often) , i will be on the lookout. Will check out the blog hop today :) By the way, congrats on 200 posts - that is quite a feat. looks like you are well on your way to being a "professional blogger"!

    ReplyDelete